One in five Australians live with chronic pain. Untreated, this can lead to significant disability. The Chronic Pain Management Services is a community based multidisciplinary initiative that offers specialised medical and allied health support for the assessment and treatment of persistent pain. The program consist of two-day educational workshop followed by individualised clinical reviews. The multidisciplinary team provides careful assessment and appropriate treatment tailored to individuals circumstances.The Services uses various approaches to reduce pain so that patients can live more fulfilled lives.
These sessions cover:
- Medications and procedures
- Movement, exercise and pacing everyday activities
- Communicating effectively with health providers
The program begins with two group education sessions in the initial week with a multidisciplinary team consisting of a clinicial psychologist, physiotherapist and pain doctor. These sessions focus on areas such as ‘making sense of your pain’, ‘improving function’ and ‘getting your nervous system back onside’. The Community Pain Management Service Coordinator will then organise individual clinics 4-6 weeks after the initial group sessions with the pain team to discuss your personal journey and to develop an indiviualised pain management plan.
Patients are eligible if they are:
- Over 18 years of age
- Referred with chronic pain (longer than 3 months)
- Suitable for participation in group education
- Agree to complete a pre-entry questionnaire to assist in the triaging process
- Have an English language capacity sufficient to understand the written and verbal materials being presented
- Be able to give voluntary, informed consent for the ongoing collection of audit data
Exclusion criteria: palliative cancer pain, unstable mental health condition, incarcerated patients or patients already receiving intervention from a pain specialist. Some exceptions may apply.
- Chronic Pain Management Referral Form
- Allied Health Services Under Medicare Pre-filled Referral Form
- Once the referral form is completed, fax a copy to (08) 9458 0555. For all other enquiries email us on email@example.com
Arche Health acknowledges the WA Primary Health Alliance (WAPHA) for providing funding for this program.